Possible fixes for Windows XP and Windows 2003
- XP and Windows 2003 : check the volume shadow copy service in services
Possible fixes for Windows 2000
- Upgrade vmware converter to latest version
- try not resizing the disks
- run a chkdsk
- install the converter with a local admin account on the host you want to P2V
- ignore pagefile or do not ignore pagefile
- deinstall other imaging tools (ultraback, acronis,…)
- if all else fails, use another imaging tool
investigate the logfiles on both the server running vmware converter as on the target!!!
for example i found this in a failled converter log :
[#2] [2008-09-24 14:29:53.625 ‘App’ 2824 verbose] [snapshotVolumeFactory,148] Creating snapshot using vsnap
[#2] [2008-09-24 14:29:53.625 ‘App’ 2824 verbose] [snapshotVolumeVSNAPWin32,124] Vsnap does not have admin rights
=> in this case, uninstalling the converter, and pushing it again with a local admin fixed this.